For a systematic approach to this WikiProject, here is an alphabetical list of the countries to be covered.
Albania - Those countries which are covered EVERY year from the state's foundation to its end (or present) may be crossed out. If a country appears complete but is not crossed out, do not cross it out. Scroll through all of the pages on which the state SHOULD be listed, so as to ensure no more work needs be done.
Angola(1575-present) Ashanti Confederacy(1701 to 1900)
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Republic of the Congo
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Equatorial Guinea
- Ethiopia (c. 1 AD-present)
- The Gambia
- São Tomé and Príncipe
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- Western Sahara
- Ancient Pueblo Peoples
- Aztec Empire
- Cahokia (Mississippean Culture)
- Incan Empire
- Iroquois Confederation
- Maya civilization
- Teotihuacan Empire
- China (?-1949)
- People's Republic of China (1949-present)
- Republic of China
East Timor(1975, 2002-present)
- Japan completed through 1200
- Korea, North
- Korea, South
- South Ossetia
- Sri Lanka
- Tibet (1912-1950)
- North Vietnam
- South Vietnam
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Denmark Country completed through 1700
- Republic of Ireland (1928-present)
Republic of Macedonia(1991-present)
- San Marino
- Serbia and Montenegro
United Kingdom Vatican City
Middle East and North Africa
- Empire of Alexander the Great
- Egypt (really long ago-present)
- Kingdom of Israel
- Kingdom of Judah
- Lydia (Mæonia)
- Palestine (see West Bank, Gaza Strip)
- Persian Empire
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
United Arab Republic(1958-1961) Yemen North Yemen South Yemen
North America and the Caribbean
Antigua and Barbuda(1981-present) Bahamas(1973-present) Barbados(1966-present) Belize(1981-present) Canada (1867-present) Costa Rica(1825-present)
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
New Connecticut- Name of Vermont for several months in 1777.
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United States of America
- Australia (1901-present)
Kiribati(1979-present) Marshall Islands(1986-present) Federated States of Micronesia(1979-present) Nauru(1968-present)
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
Ancient Afro-Eurasian Civilizations
Territories that disappeared in ancient history.
- Hellenic city-states (Athens, Sparta, Syracuse, etc) and their allied cities/colonies/territories.
- Hellenistic Empires (Ptolemaic, Seleucid, Antigonid,etc.)
- Ancient Illyria
- Indus Valley Civilisation (Harappa, Mohenjo Daro in present Pakistan) South Asia
- Roman Republic, Roman Empire
Middle Ages to modern times
- Byzantine Empire (395-1453)
- Empire of Nicaea (1204-1261)
- Great Bulgaria (632-660)
- Volga Bulgaria (660-1236)
- First Bulgarian Kingdom (681-1018)
- Second Bulgarian Kingdom (1186-1396)
- Third Bulgarian Kingdom (1878-1944)
- Crusader States (1098-1291)
Kingdom of Etruria(1801-1807)
- Frankish Kingdom (~419-843)
- Hanseatic League -- note that, while no longer sovereign, the League is not dissolved
- Holy Roman Empire (843-1806)
- Pomerania ruled by the Dukes of Pomerania (1121-1637)
- Brandenburg-Prussia (1660 - 1701)
- Kingdom of Prussia (1701 - 1918)
- Habsburg Empire (1282-1867)
- Khazar Empire (652-1016)
- Kievan Rus (860 - 12th century)
- States in Medieval Britain
- Mongol Empire (1200-1266)
- Mutawakkalite Kingdom of Yemen (1918-1970)
- Kingdoms of Naples and Sicily (1043-1410, 1442-1500, 1735-1860)
- Kingdom of the Two Sicilies (1815 - 1860)
- Ottoman Empire (14th to 20th century)
- Grand Duchy of Lithuania (-1795)
- Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569-1795)
- Kingdom of Poland (1815-1918)
Duchy of Warsaw(1807-1815)
- Free State of Gdansk Legal Name Freistadt Danzig (1807-1815) (1920-1939)
- Republic of Krakow (1815-1846)
- Duchy of Courland (1561-1795)
- Duchy of Masovia (-1561)
- Spanish states
- Republic of Venice (727-1797)
- Republic of Ragusa/Dubrovnik (1358-1808)
- Mediæval Irish gaelic states and polity
- Lordship of Ireland (1171-1541)
- Kingdom of Ireland (1541-1800)
- Kingdom of England (-1707)
- Principality of Wales (-1282, 1400-1536)
- Kingdom of Scotland (-1707)
- Nubia (Dongola)
- Kingdom of the Berghouata (also spelled Barghwata, Barghawata)
- Kingdom of Nekor
- Kingdom of Ceuta - in particular, the Banu Isam
- Taifa states in al-Andalus
These states are now dissolved into a number of countries.
- Austria-Hungary - This double monarchy was formed in 1867 from the Habsburg empire, having an Austrian and a Hungarian part. In 1918, the empire was split into Austria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Poland and Yugoslavia, with other territories going to Italy and Romania
- Yugoslavia - State created from parts of Austria-Hungary and Kingdoms of Serbia and Montenegro in 1918/1929. Re-created after World War II, dissolved when four out of six constituent republics (Slovenia, Croatia, Macedonia and Bosnia and Herzegovina) seceded in 1990s. Remaining two republics officially renamed back into Serbia and Montenegro in 2003.
- Czechoslovakia - State created from parts of Austria-Hungary, which dissolved after World War I. In 1993, the country was split into two parts, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- West Indies Federation - Federal state created by Britain in 1952 that simultaneously granted independence to all former British colonies in the Caribbean. The federation collapsed after Jamaica voted to separate.
- Mali Federation - In 1959 formed by Senegal and French Sudan, both parts of French West Africa, as an independent nation. It fell apart in 1960 into Senegal and Mali.
- Soviet Union or USSR - Formed after the Bolshevik Revolution in 1918, made up of several republics which have since become independent as Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Moldova, Belarus, Ukraine, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Russia.
United Provinces of Central America. (1823-1839)
- Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (or The Commonwealth of the Two Nations) partitioned in 1772-1795 among Russia, Prussia and Austria. These lands are distributed today among Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Ukraine, Belarus, and partly Russia.
These country names have been replaced.
- Burma - Name of Myanmar until 1989.
- Central African Empire - temporary phase (1977 - 1979) in the existence of the Central African Republic.
- Ceylon - Name of Sri Lanka until 1972.
- Éire - received the legislative description of the Republic of Ireland in 1949.
- Irish Free State - renamed Éire in 1937.
- Ivory Coast - became Côte d'Ivoire in 1985, the French name being used in all languages thereafter
- Kampuchea - Name of Cambodia from 1980 to 1989, before reverting to the original (1949 to 1975) name.
- Khmer Republic - Name of Cambodia from 1975 to 1980
- Persia - Name of Iran until 1935.
- Republic of the Congo - Name of Democratic Republic of the Congo from 1960 to 1966.
- Siam - Name of Thailand until 1938.
- Upper Volta - Name of Burkina Faso until 1984.
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland renamed United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in 1927. (Most of Ireland had left in 1922.)
- Federal Republic of Yugoslavia renamed into Serbia and Montenegro in 2003.
- Zaire - Name of Democratic Republic of the Congo from 1971 to 1997.
"Independent" Homelands of South Africa
- Bophuthatswana - Made "independent" in 1977, reincorporated in 1994.
- Ciskei - Made "independent" in 1981, reincorporated in 1994.
- Transkei - Made "independent" in 1976, reincorporated in 1994.
- Venda - Made "independent" in 1979, reincorporated in 1994.
These nations declared themselves independent, but failed to achieve or did not seek permanent independence and were either re-incorporated into the mother country or incorporated into another country.
Biafra. (1967-1970) Confederate States of America. (1861-1865)
- Crimea, declared independence from Ukraine in 1992 but soon settled for being an autonomous republic within Ukraine.
- Katanga - Declared its independence of the newly formed Republic of the Congo in 1960, was incorporated again in 1963.
- Republic of California - declared independence from Mexico in June 1846, claimed by U.S. Navy for United States in July 1846.
- Republic of Rio Grande declared independence in 1840, brought back into Mexico by force less than a year later, encompassed the land of the Mexican states of Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, and parts of the USA state of Texas.
Republic of Texas- Declared independence in 1835 from Mexico, and annexed into the United States in 1845. (1836-1845)
- The Great Republic of Rough and Ready - Declared independence from United States on April 7th, 1850 rejoined into the State of California in the United States July 4th, 1850.
- The Conch Republic - In 1982 the mayor of Key West, Florida declared independence from the U.S. in protest of the U.S. Border Patrol roadblock placed further up in the Florida Keys to stop drug trafficking and illegal immigration, and surrendered one minute later asking for "foreign aid" to the Keys.
Countries now part of other countries
These nations, once separate, are now part of another country.
- Anhalt - became part of the German Empire in 1871
- Anhalt-Bernburg - merged with Anhalt-Dessau-Köthen to form Anhalt in 1863
- Anhalt-Dessau - merged with Anhalt-Köthen to form Anhalt-Dessau-Köthen in 1847
- Anhalt-Dessau-Köthen - merged with Anhalt-Bernburg to form Anhalt in 1863
- Anhalt-Köthen - merged with Anhalt-Dessau to form Anhalt-Dessau-Köthen in 1847
- Baden - joined German Empire in 1871
- Bavaria - joined German Empire in 1871
- Bremen - joined German Empire in 1871
- British Somaliland - became part of Somalia, but has since asserted its independence as the Somaliland republic.
- Brunswick - joined German Empire in 1871.
- California Republic - became part of the United States in 1846
- Chan Santa Cruz Maya state in eastern Yucatan peninsula, recognized as independent nation by British Empire in 1850s; now part of Mexico.
- Regency of Carnaro in 1919 and Free State of Fiume in 1920, two short-lived states in the port city of Fiume/Rijeka proclaimed by Gabriele D'Annunzio. Following World War I, the city was disputed between Italy and Yugoslavia, and eventually captured by Italy in 1921. The city passed to Yugoslavia after World War II and is now in Croatia.
- East Germany - Joined West Germany in 1990 to form re-unified Germany again.
- Eastern Rumelia - province of the Ottoman Empire unified with Bulgaria in 1886
- Frankfurt - annexed by Prussia in 1866
- Kingdom of Great Britain - merged into the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland in 1801
- Hamburg - joined German Empire in 1871
- Kingdom of Hanover - annexed by Prussia in 1866
- The Kingdom of Hawaii was unified in 1810 under Kamehameha I, and was recognized by the United States as an independent nation from 1826 until January 17, 1893. Following the overthrow of the monarchy it existed as the independent Republic of Hawaii until annexation by the United States in 1898.
- Hesse-Darmstadt - joined German Empire in 1871
- Hesse-Homburg - annexed by Prussia in 1866
- Hesse-Kassel - annexed by Prussia in 1866
- Hohenzollern-Hechingen - annexed by Prussia in 1850
- Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen - annexed by Prussia in 1850
- Ifni - A Spanish possession until 1969, when it was ceded to and incorporated in Morocco.
- Indian Princely States
- Kingdom of Ireland - merged into the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland in 1801
- Italian Somaliland - Became part of Somalia.
- Kalat (princely state) - Became part of Pakistan.
- Kongo - African kingdom, divided between the colonial powers in 1885 at the Conference of Berlin. Now part of Angola (incl. Cabinda), Republic of the Congo, and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Lippe - joined German Empire in 1871
- Lübeck - joined German Empire in 1871
- Manchukuo - Japanese puppet state 1931-1945. Became part of China.
- Mecklenburg-Schwerin - joined German Empire in 1871
- Mecklenburg-Strelitz - joined German Empire in 1871
- Moldavia - Now divided between Romania, Moldova and Ukraine.
- Moresnet - A tiny European territory that endured for a hundred years before definitively becoming part of Belgium.
- Nassau - annexed by Prussia in 1866.
- Oldenburg - joined German Empire in 1871
- Papal States - annexed by Italy in 1870.
- Duchy of Parma - annexed by Piedmont-Sardinia in 1860
- Prussia - Joined German Empire in 1871
- Puerto Rico - Caribbean Territory of the United States.
- Republic of Indian Stream - 1832-1835, now part of U.S.
- Republic of Hawaii - Became territory, then state of United States.
- Republic of Taiwan - Lasted from May to October 1895 after the island was ceded by China to Japan and the natives declared independence
- Republic of Texas - After becoming independent of Mexico in 1836, Texas sought annexation by the United States, which occurred in 1845.
Ryukyu Kingdom - united from Chuzan, Nanzan, Hokuzan, now all Okinawa Prefecture of Japan.
- Kingdom of Sardinia - became part of Italy in 1861.
- Saxe-Altenburg - joined German Empire in 1871
- Saxe-Coburg and Gotha - joined German Empire in 1871
- Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld - merged with Saxe-Gotha in 1826 to form Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
- Saxe-Gotha - merged with Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld in 1826 to form Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
- Saxe-Hildburghausen - annexed by Saxe-Meiningen in 1826
- Saxe-Meiningen - joined German Empire in 1871
- Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach - joined German Empire in 1871
- Saxony - joined German Empire in 1871.
- Schaumburg-Lippe - joined German Empire in 1871
- Schleswig-Holstein - annexed by Prussia in 1866
- Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt - joined German Empire in 1871
- Schwarzburg-Sondershausen - joined German Empire in 1871
- Tuva (also known as Tannu Tuva) - now part of Russia after the dissolution of the USSR
- Transylvania - Semi-independent part of the Kingdom of Hungary until the 19th century. Became part of Romania after World War I.
- Grand Duchy of Tuscany - annexed by Piedmont-Sardinia in 1860.
- Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - part of Italy from 1861.
Vermont Republic- Republic of Vermont existed from 1777 until 1791, when Vermont became the 14th state of the United States.
- Waldeck-Pyrmont - joined German Empire in 1871.
- Wallachia - United with Moldavia to form Romania in 1859.
- West Germany - Joined by East Germany in 1990 to form Germany again.
- Württemberg - German state, joined German Empire in 1871
- Republic of Yucatan became part of Mexico
- Zanzibar - Zanzibar merged in 1964 with Tanganyika to become Tanzania.
Former Colonies, possessions, protectorates and territories
These were all colonies, most of which were renamed after their independence.
- Aden - British colony, now part of Yemen
Afars and Issas- French territory between 1967 and 1977, called French Somaliland before that. Became independent as Djibouti.
- Basutoland - Since 1868 a British protectorate, later colony (governed from South Africa). Became independent as Lesotho in 1966.
- Bechuanaland - Since 1884 a British protectorate, later colony (governed from South Africa). Became independent as Botswana in 1966.
- Belgian Congo - Belgian colony from 1908 until 1960, when the it became independent as the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- British Guiana - became Guyana
- British Honduras - became Belize
- Congo Free State - Name of the state owned from 1884 by King Léopold II of Belgium, later mostly annexed by his country in 1908, then known as Belgian Congo.
- Dahomey - This African kingdom was acquired by France. In 1904, it was made part of the French West African federation. It became independent in 1960, changing its name in 1975 to Benin.
- Danish West Indies - Danish colony, sold in 1917 to the United States. Now known as the United States Virgin Islands.
- Dutch Guiana - became Suriname
Ellice Islands- separate colony in 1975, became Tuvalu upon independence in 1978
- French Equatorial Africa - A French federation of colonies, formed in 1910, containing the colonies of Gabon, Middle Congo, Chad and Ubangi-Shari. The territories became autonomous parts of France in 1958, and the federation was dissolved.
French Somaliland- became Afars and Issas then independent Djibouti
- French Sudan - A French colony, part of the French West African federation since 1904. In 1959 it formed the independent Mali Federation together with Senegal, which fell apart in 1960, after which the country was renamed Mali.
- French West Africa - dissolved into Mali, Senegal, Côte d'Ivoire, Upper Volta, Niger, Guinea, Dahomey, and Togo
- German East Africa - became Tanganyika, now in Tanzania
- German New Guinea - protectorate from 1884 until conquered by Australia in 1914.
- German South-West Africa - A German colony from 1884 to 1915, after which it became South African held territory until 1990, when the country became independent as Namibia.
- Gold Coast - A British colony since 1874, it became independent as Ghana in 1957.
- Hong Kong - colony of the United Kingdom, sovereignty transferred to the People's Republic of China on July 1, 1997.
- Indo-China - French territory until 1949. Became independent as Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.
- Italian East Africa - Italian colonies of Eritrea and Italian Somaliland together with occupied Ethiopia.
- Italian North Africa - became Libya
- Macau - colony of Portugal, sovereignty transferred to the People's Republic of China on December 20, 1999.
- Middle Congo - A French colony, previously named French Congo, became independent as the Republic of the Congo in 1960.
- Netherlands East Indies - A collection of Dutch colonies, officially since the end of the Napoleonic Wars, up to 1799 controlled by the Dutch East India Company but occupied and administered by the British in an interregnum during the Napoleonic Wars under the authority of the Kew Letters. Became independent as Indonesia in 1949.
- Netherlands Guiana - became Suriname
- Netherlands New Guinea - adjacent to the Netherlands East Indies until 1949, became part of Indonesia in 1969 as Irian Jaya.
- New France was conquered by Britain; various parts of it later became part of Canada and the United States.
- New Hebrides - Condominium until 1980. Became independent as Vanuatu.
- New Netherlands - A Dutch colony in the present-day United States, mainly in and around the state of New York. It was conquered by Great Britain in 1664.
Northern Rhodesia- became Zambia in 1964.
- Nyasaland - British protectorate, previously called British Central Africa, it was renamed Nyasaland in 1907. It became part of a federation with Rhodesia in 1953, and became independent as Malawi in 1964.
- Oubangui-Chari - became Central African Republic
- Panama Canal Zone - US territory until 1979. Became part of Panama.
- Portuguese East Africa - became Mozambique
- Portuguese Guinea - became Guinea-Bissau
- Portuguese India - became part of India
- Portuguese Timor - The eastern side of the island of Timor was a Portuguese colony until 1975, when independence was declared as East Timor. Indonesian troops seized the country, but the country was finally declared independent in 2002.
- Portuguese West Africa - became Angola
Rhodesia- name for Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) while unilaterally claiming independence, 1965-1979.
- Río Muni - Former Spanish colony, then part of territory of Spanish Guinea until 1968. Became independent as Equatorial Guinea.
Riviéres du Sud- French colony, renamed Guinea
- Ruanda-Urundi - UN Trusteeship until 1962. Became independent as Burundi and Rwanda.
- Federation of South Arabia - 1962 to 1967, consisting of British colony of Aden and numerous protectorates. Became independent as People's Republic of South Yemen (from 1970 People's Democratic Republic of Yemen).
- South-West Africa - In 1915, South Africa occupied the German colony of South-West Africa, which it held under mandate until 1922, after which they remained ruling the territory until its independence in 1990 as Namibia.
- Southern Rhodesia - British colony, unilaterally declared itself independent as Rhodesia in 1965, renamed Zimbabwe Rhodesia 1979, then gained international recognition as Zimbabwe 1980.
- Spanish Guinea - became Equatorial Guinea. Consisted of two former colonies of Río Muni and Fernando Po.
- Spanish Sahara - now generally known as Western Sahara, but claimed by and divided between Morocco and Mauritania in 1976, later entirely by Morocco.
- The Straits Settlements - British colony until 1946. Became independent as Malaya and Singapore.
- Tanganyika - British territory until 1961. From then independent until 1964, when it became part of Tanzania.
- The colonies of Vancouver Island, New Caledonia, Upper Canada and Lower Canada (later, the Province of Canada), Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland, plus the territory of Rupert's Land, spent much time reorganizing themselves into various patterns; they all eventually became part of Canada.
- Newfoundland Existed as an autonomous colony of Great Britain from 1855 to 1907, then a sovereign dominion until 1934 when it reverted to a crown colony. It joined in Confederation with Canada in 1949.
To be classified
These should probably be included in one of the above categories - to be done.